All in all, Microsoft Teams is not an intrusive app. If you find it opening automatically on your windows, you must have overlooked some settings. Whether you want to keep the App or get rid of it, we have the right solution to stop the App from popping up without your consent. But first, why does Microsoft Teams keep opening?
Reasons Microsoft Teams Keep Opening
- Microsoft 365 app on your PC may be trying to use Microsoft Teams
- You have set Microsoft Teams as your default chat tool
- You have pending Microsoft Teams updates that require you to restart the app to install.
- Your PC has an entry in the Registry Editor controlling Microsoft Teams on PC startup.
Stopping Microsoft Teams From Opening: Suggestions
“Why does Microsoft Teams keep opening?” is not a difficult question to answer. Microsoft Teams can offer excellent working collaboration and communication remotely. However, it can be annoying to deal with Microsoft Teams automatically popping on the screen. Here are methods to stop the automatic opening of Microsoft Teams on your PC.
Customize Microsoft Team’s Settings
You can stop Microsoft Teams from automatically opening using the App’s settings menu. Here is how.
- Step 1: On Windows 10 taskbar, Right-click on the Microsoft Teams icon. From the menu that appears, select “Settings”. You can also find Microsoft Teams by clicking the arrow-up icon on your PC status bar if it doesn’t appear on the taskbar. If you don’t see the Microsoft Teams icon on your taskbar or from the status bar, you can launch the App from the computer’s homepage or by using the Start menu.
- Step 2: Once the app launches, click on the profile icon. Select the “Settings”. Find the “Auto-start application” box and uncheck it. After that, close the window and restart your PC to check if the Microsoft Teams is popping up on startup.
Remove Microsoft Teams From Default Apps
This is an alternative method to unchecking “Auto-start application” on the Microsoft Teams settings. Here is how.
- Step 1: Open Microsoft Teams. Click on the profile icon. Select “Settings”. Navigate to the “General tab”. Uncheck “Register Microsoft Teams as the chat app for Office”.
- Step 2: Close all your PC’s Microsoft 365 apps, then re-open them. Finally, restart Microsoft Teams.
Update Microsoft Teams
You might have set your apps to update automatically once they find an update. In this case, Microsoft Teams might update but needs your permission to install the update. If Microsoft Teams is still popping up after executing the previous methods, update and install Microsoft Teams. This is how.
- Step 1: Open Microsoft Teams. Click on your “profile picture”. Select “check for update” and let your Microsoft Teams app update.
- Step 2: Restart Microsoft Teams
Since Microsoft Teams work with Outlook, the issue might be caused by problems in Outlook. Updating the Outlook might stop Microsoft Teams from popping up. Here is how to update it.
- Step 1: Open Outlook. Click “File”. On the column on the left, find “Office Account” and click on it. Select the “Update” option, then click “Update Now”. Let the Outlook update, download, and install.
- Step 2: Restart your PC.
Use Windows Startup
Your computer has a section within the settings that manage apps on windows startup. To stop Microsoft Teams from opening on startup, go through the steps below.
- Step 1: Open Windows Settings by pressing Windows and I keys together. Go to “Apps”. Select “Startup”. Here you can determine what happens to your apps after starting your computer.
- Step 2: Find Microsoft Teams from the apps and “toggle off”.
Use Task Manager
If Microsoft Teams still open randomly, check the steps below to fix the issue using the task manager.
- Step 1: Draw your cursor to the taskbar and right-click. From the menu, select “Task Manager”. You can also press Windows and X together on your keyboard to open Windows Quick Access Menu, then select “Task Manager”.
- Step 2: After you have opened the Task Manager, go to the “Startup” tab. Find “Microsoft Teams”. Click on the “Microsoft teams” to highlight it. Click “Disable”. Alternatively, right-click “Microsoft Teams”. After that select ‘Disable”.
Use Windows Registry
Our aim here is to delete an entry in the Registry Editor that controls Microsoft Teams on startup.
NOTE: Since the Windows Registry contains all the files and settings running your PC, it is advisable to be keen through the process to avoid messing up with crucial configurations. You can also consider backing up the computer’s Windows Registry before using this method to restore it in case something goes wrong.
- Step 1: Draw your cursor to the “Windows icon” on the taskbar and right-click on it.
- Step 2: Select “Run”. On the Run dialogue box, input “regedit”. Then select “OK”. Once on the Registry Editor, go to this path below:
To navigate easily to the path above, paste it into the Registry Editor address bar, then press Enter.
- Step 3: Right-click the file: “com.squirrel.Teams.Teams”. you can find the file on the right side of the Registry Editor window. Now select “Delete” from the display options. Restart your PC to execute these changes.
Uninstall Microsoft Teams
If you don’t need Microsoft Teams on your PC, the best option is to Uninstall it. Also, remember to uninstall Microsoft Teams Installer. Below is how to do it.
- Step 1: Right-click Microsoft Teams icon. Select “Close window”. In Windows, select Start and click “Settings” then “Apps”. Search for “Microsoft Teams” under “Apps & features”. Click once on “Microsoft Teams” to highlight it, then select “Uninstall”. After a box appears, select “Uninstall”. After that, this message will appear: “Do you want to allow this app to make changes to your device?”. Select “Yes”.
- Select “Microsoft Teams Installer”. Click “Uninstall”. It will also prompt you: “Do you want to allow this app to make changes to your device?”. Select “Yes”.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is the benefit of having Microsoft Teams on my PC?
Microsoft Teams is one of the best conferencing apps like skype and zoom. The software offers great remote working collaboration and communication through video conferencing and other tools. If you use other Microsoft Office applications such as Word and Excel, you can easily integrate Microsoft Teams into your workflow.
Is it necessary to stop Microsoft Teams from opening automatically?
Microsoft Teams, if not controlled, can be a great disruption in the office. Besides, they might reduce your PC’s speed and boot time, drain your PC’s battery faster and eat up your PC resources unnecessarily.