If you notice SteelSeries GG not opening, lack of permission is usually the cause and you should run the SteelSeries GG as an admin. If the issue persists, you may want to uninstall and reinstall SteelSeries GG, clean boot, update Windows etc. Continue reading to be able to get SteelSeries GG back to work and optimize your gaming experience.
Run As Administrator
Note: For good measure, you need to make sure that there is no instance of SteelSeries GG running at the moment. Go to Search bar, type Task Manager and hit Enter. In Task Manager look for SteelSeries GG Client and if you see one, shut it down using End Task.
- Step 1: Locate SteelSeries GG executable file (.exe).
- Step 2: Right-click it, pick Properties and go to Compatibility tab.
- Step 3: Check the checkbox next to Run this program as an administrator, select Apply and choose OK. Lastly, close everything, launch SteelSeries GG and see how things turn out.
Uninstall And Reinstall
- Step 1: Press the Windows button, type add or remove programs and press Enter.
- Step 2: Proceed to look for SteelSeries GG, right-click on it and pick Uninstall.
- Step 3: Launch your web browser file then visit the SteelSeries GG official website.
- Step 4: Click the Free Download button next to the version that suits your OS.
- Step 5: Run the downloaded installer (SteelSeriesGG.exe).
Think About The Drivers
- Step 1: Go to Search bar, type devmgmt.msc and hit Enter to open Device Manager.
- Step 2: Locate every SteelSeries device on the list. For example, if you have a SteelSeries headset, go to Sound, video, and game controllers. In the case that your keyboard is a SteelSeries model, expand Human Interface Devices.
- Step 3: Right-click on each of the SteelSeries devices and choose Uninstall device.
- Step 4: Check the checkbox next to Delete the driver software for this device before hitting OK.
- Step 5: Reboot the PC.
- Step 1: Go to Search bar, type Updates and hit Enter.
- Step 2: Select Check for Updates.
- Step 3: If an update is available, allow Windows to update and install it. As soon as the process completes, reboot the PC.
Perform A Clean Boot
- Step 1: Go to Search bar, type msconfig and hit Enter to open System Configuration.
- Step 3: Under the Services tab, check the Hide all Microsoft services.
- Step 4: Uncheck all services EXCEPT those that enable your hardware to run. Examples include services from your manufacturer like NVIDIA or Lenovo.
- Step 5: Click OK to save settings.
- Step 6: Press Ctrl, Alt, and Shift to open the Task Manager.
- Step 7: Click the Startup tab and right-click on every service that you don’t consider important and disable it. For example, you can disable Cortana and others like Skype.
- Step 8: Restart your PC.
- Step 9: If SteelSeries GG works as expected, you could conclude that something prevents it from running normally. Hence, you may want to remove recently installed apps, drivers, etc.
Run SFC Scan
- Step 1: Go to Search bar, type CMD and click Run as administrator.
- Step 2: In Command Prompt (Admin), run the command sfc /scannow.
- Step 3: After the scan finishes, reboot the PC.
Run SteelSeries GG Using Graphics Processor
- Step 1: Open the C directory and click on Program Files.
- Step 2: Click on steelseries folder and right-click on the .exe file.
- Step 3: Click on the option of running using a graphics card like NVIDIA.
Frequently Asked Questions
Should I Keep SteelSeries GG Open All The Time?
You only need to open SteelSeries GG when you need to manage your gaming peripherals. Via SteelSeries GG, you could change the settings of peripherals to your liking.
What Must Be Done If I Update To SteelSeries GG But The Thing Won’t Work?
If you update from SteelSeries Engine to SteelSeries GG but nothing works out, consider downgrading to a previous version. For your information, the official website hosts download links for Engines 2 and 3 which come in handy if you wish to go back. Scroll down to the Drivers & Downloads section and choose the version you were using before the update.
Tips And Tricks
- If you wish to remove the SteelSeries GG registry files from your PC, their support team recommends CCleaner. That should ensure that the installation process will go seamlessly if you try to install an earlier version.
- System Restore can also help you go back to the point when SteelSeries was working perfectly. Although it’s a stopgap solution, System Restore helps minimize interruption before engineers at SteelSeries fix the bugs and launch a superior version of GG.
- If you wish to your gaming clips, consider using Moments by Steel Series. And if you’re worried about your CPU/RAM resources, Moments allows you to tweak settings and reduce the quality of clips you will save. Moments also stands out because it uses Autoclip, an AI that detects any awesome thing happening in your game. It does all the work and leaves you to focus on sharpening your gaming skills.