About the “Speech Recognition could not start because the language configuration is not supported” error, missing language pack is the cause so make sure that you have a suitable pack. Also, to be thorough, take a look at speech recognition settings and determine whether everything is in order. You know little about troubleshooting issues that involve speech recognition and could use some help? Then this article is for you.
The Usual Suspects
In layman’s terms, speech recognition only works as expected if Windows users have appropriate language packs. Thus, regarding the “Speech Recognition could not start because the language configuration is not supported” error, you may want to give language pack some thought. On the bright side, in the case that language pack is responsible for the error, there is no need to do much.
Speech Recognition Settings
Overall, speech recognition settings define the performance of speech recognition for most of the time. You could configure the settings to your liking but if you mess up, speech recognition would suffer.
“Speech Recognition Could Not Start Because The Language Configuration Is Not Supported”: Fixes
Think About Language Pack
First, see if you have the right language pack on your computer. If you don’t, you have to download the correct pack to make use of speech recognition.
- Step 1. Go to Search bar, type Language and press Enter.
- Step 2. Hit Add a language under Prefered languages and follow the instructions to pick up the language pack you need.
- Step 3. After you finish, press Windows + H to open speech recognition, voice a command and witness the result.
Apply Changes To Speech Recognition Settings
- Step 1. Go to Search bar, type Control Panel and press Enter.
- Step 2. Select Speech Recognition then choose Advanced Speech Options.
- Step 3. Change the language to your liking.
- Step 4. Check the checkbox next to “Review documents and mail to improve accuracy”.
- Step 5. Choose Apply and select OK.
Frequently Asked Questions
How Do I Improve The Accuracy Of Speech Recognition?
Speech recognition advances by the day but you could improve the result on your own. For instance, considering the importance of audio quality, you should keep the microphone close to your mouth and eliminate background noise. Aside from that, you must speak clearly and at a reasonable volume. Last but not least, if possible, use a headset instead of the computer’s built-in
Can Speech Recognition Work Offline?
Yes, speech recognition can work offline. However, it is not as accurate as when it is connected to the Internet.
What Do I Need To Use Speech Recognition?
A speech recognition setup usually includes a microphone and an up-to-date computer. The speech recognition program also needs to be able to access the microphone as well as comprehend the user’s voice.
Why Doesn’t Everyone Use Speech Recognition?
While it proves handy at times, speech recognition is not for everyone at the moment. One reason is that speech recognition software can be inaccurate and correcting mistakes is difficult. Another reason is that some feel uncomfortable speaking in public so they don’t enjoy using speech recognition. Finally, there are people who simply prefer to type rather than speak.
What Are Windows Speech Recognition Alternatives?
If you’re looking for an alternative to Windows Speech Recognition, a couple of options exist:
- Dragon NaturallySpeaking: Today, Dragon Naturally Speaking is one of the top Windows speech recognition alternatives. Designed to be a powerful speech recognition, Dragon Naturally Speaking excels in a lot of tasks from dictation to creating documents.
- IBM Watson Speech to Text: IBM Watson Speech to Text is a cloud-based speech recognition service that can give a good account of itself in quite a few settings.
- Google Cloud Speech API: The Google Cloud Speech API is another cloud-based speech recognition service that rarely lets people down in use.
What Is The Difference Between Speech Recognition And Voice Recognition?
Speech recognition is the ability of a computer to identify spoken words while voice recognition is the ability of a computer to identify the characteristics of a person’s voice. Speech recognition software uses algorithms to convert speech into text while voice recognition software uses algorithms to compare the sound of a person’s voice with a stored template of that person’s voice.
What Are The Benefits Of Using Speech Recognition?
- Increased productivity: Studies have shown that using speech recognition can increase productivity by up to 30%. This is because you are able to dictate documents and reports without having to type them out.
- Improved accuracy: As you use speech recognition, you can achieve up to 99% accuracy when dictating text. This is much higher than the average typing accuracy of around 80%.
- Hands-Free: One of the main benefits of speech recognition is that it allows you to work hands-free. That is a big plus if you need to put together documents while cooking, driving and so on.
- Reduced strain: If you suffer from repetitive strain injury (RSI), using speech recognition can help to reduce the strain on your hands and wrists.
- Accessibility: Speech recognition makes computers accessible for those that have disabilities. It can also be used as a way to input text in languages that are not supported by standard keyboard layouts.
Tips And Tricks
- Make sure the environment is not too loud when using speech recognition
- Speak clearly and at a moderate pace
- Take pauses between sentences
- Enunciate words properly
- Start with simple commands or dictation first
- Train the software to recognize your voice
- Calibrate the microphone for optimal performance