In a multiplayer game like a Sea of Thieves, communication is vital. It determines if you will win or lose as you connect with other players in the game. As you play Sea of Thieves, you might sometimes encounter an issue: your voices are not picked nor heard by other users. Needless to say, with the Sea Of Thieves game chat not working, it’s tough to coordinate with crewmates on your ship.
An Overview Of Unresponsive Game Chat
Before getting the possible solutions in detail on why Sea of Thieves game chat is not working , ensure that the audio is not on mute in the game. Also, check if the microphone is working perfectly by pulling it out and then plugging it back.
If your Sea of Thieves voice chat is not working after doing all that, then you have come to the right place. Here are a few solutions to deal with the hitch.
When Sea of Thieves voice chat stops working, the first thing to do is rule out the connection and hardware issues.
- Disconnect and reconnect your handset to refresh device settings
- Try to change the headphone jack. Many gamers reported that their headsets only work when plugged in a particular input jack.
- Connect your handset to another PC to confirm the device is not physically broken.
Keep reading if you still encounter the problem after following the above steps.
Try Setting Your Microphone As Default
After a system update, sometimes sound settings on your PC might get corrupted and fail to appear asset as the default device. To solve this, you will need to adjust the settings to make your headset work.
- Step 1: Long press the Windows key and R simultaneously to open the Run command. Then type control and click OK.
- Step 2: Then, Select Small icons next to View by and click Sound.
- Step 3: On the Playback tab, click your primary headset and click Set Default.
- Step 4: Right-click on other headsets that you don’t use and click Disable.
- Step 5: Then, navigate to the Recording tab and disable other microphones that are not in use.
- Steep 6: After that, select your primary microphone and click Set Default.
- Step 7: Finally, click OK to effect the changes
Allow Access To Your Microphone
If you have not allowed the Sea of Thieves’ game to access your microphone, then the chatbox with other crewmates won’t work. To confirm if you have permitted this permission, simply follow the steps below.
- Step 1: First, type microphone privacy in the Windows search bar and click on Microphone privacy settings.
- Step 2: Next, click on the “Change button and turn on Microphone access. Then, switch on Allow apps to access your microphone.
- Step 3: Scroll down to switch on the button next to Sea of Thieves and Xbox, then open the game to test the voice chat. If it still doesn’t work, check your audio driver.
Enable Chat Access In Privacy Settings of Xbox
Xbox app has its privacy settings, and if it happens the privacy settings have been blocked. In this case sea of thieves game chat not working, try changing the access to Everyone or Friends only to fix the problem. To this, follow the below steps.
- Step 1: First, exit the Sea of Thieves game.
- Step 2: Then, open the Xbox website, log in using your Xbox account details, and tap on your profile.
- Step 3: Then click on horizontal ellipses dots, and in the menu shown, click on Xbox Settings.
- Step 4: On the Windows’ left pane, click on Privacy and online safety
- Step 5: Then scroll down. Under the Section of “Others Can,” set up an option of “Others can communicate with voice or text” to Everyone.
- Step 6: Again, scroll down until the end and click on the Submit button
- Step 7: Finally, sit back and wait for about 5 minutes, then relaunch the game to check if voice chat is working fine.
Temporarily Disable Your Antivirus Programs
Antivirus programs play a vital role in protecting your critical device data. Sometimes, antivirus programs create issues for the Sea of Thieves’ voice chat. To see whether that is the case you will need to disable your antivirus program temporarily. You should note that this could be a risky step as disabling antivirus program will expose your system to threats such as viruses. If you want to proceed, follow the below steps to disable your antivirus.
- Step 1: Turn off your firewall and ensure the router firewall (if any) allows the game’s audio service.
- Step 2: Next, Relaunch Sea of Thieves
- Step 3: Check if voice chat is working fine. If so, add an exception for the audio service of the game in antivirus/firewall settings.
- Step 4: Finally, don’t forget to turn on your antivirus program/firewall.
Reinstalling The Sound Driver
The sound card uses a Sound driver to communicate with the OS and game. If your sound card driver is corrupted, you may encounter the voice chat issue on the Sea of Thieves. In this case, solution for Sea of Thieves game chat not working is installing and reinstalling the sound driver could fix the problem.
To do this, simply perform the following steps:
- Step 1: First, right-click on the Windows button and then in the menu shown, click on Device Manager.
- Step 2: Secondly, expand the “Sound, video, and game controllers” option
- Step 3: Then, right-click on the sound device and then click on Uninstall Device.
- Step 4: Next, click on the checkmark of Delete the Driver Software for This Device and then click on the Uninstall button.
- Step 5: Restart your system after uninstallation
- Step 6: The sound driver should install automatically after restarting. If not installed, open the device manager’s action menu and click on Scan for hardware changes.
- ·Step 7: After reinstallation, launch Sea of Thieves and check if the voice chat issue is resolved
Frequently Asked Questions
- Why can’t I hear or talk in-game chat on Xbox?
If you can’t hear the person you want to chat with after joining their party, go to your privacy settings and click on “allow communication with everyone.” Then Press the Xbox button to open the guide and select Profile & system >Settings > Account > Privacy & online safety > Xbox privacy
- How do I turn on game chat in the Sea of Thieves?
Go to the windows start menu, enter settings and find privacy settings. Click on the microphone side panel and toggle. Put on apps, use my microphone, and enable microphone access for the Sea of Thieves. Finally, relaunch the game to start chatting with your crew.
- How do I know if the push to talk works on the Sea of Thieves
When playing with your crew, you can ask if the icon flashes above your head for proximity chat. Any crew member with about 100′ should see a sound flash next to the nameplate.
Tips And Tricks
Make sure you are using the latest version of Sea Thieves (v0.9.6).
- Make sure you have the correct Steam account linked to your Sea Thieves account.
- Make sure your internet connection is stable.
- If you are using Windows 10, make sure you are connected to the Internet via WiFi instead of wired connections.
- Try restarting your computer.