Are you receiving the “Perfboost.exe has stopped working” error on your PC and looking out on how to solve the error? A lot happens on the internet and within the PC as it processes different commands. This makes the computer prone to errors such as the one mentioned. Spare a few minutes and I could show you how to take care of this error.
What Is Perfboost.exe?
Perfboost.exe is a Windows Executable file that Microsoft created for developing Microsoft Project Professional 2016(64-bit). It’s worth remembering that EXE files are under the category of Win32 EXE (Window Executable).
“Perfboost.exe has stopped working” is one of the several Perfboost.exe errors you may encounter on your PC. Other errors similar to this are Perfboost.exe application Error, Perfboost.exe could not be found, Perfboost.exe is not running, Perfboost.exe failed to initialize properly, among other error messages.
Causes Of The Error
Finding the cause of this error could be the beginning of solving the error. Note that most EXE errors that affect Perfboost.exe happen during startup. Runtime errors, such as Perfboost.exe, has stopped working, are rare as you use Microsoft Project Professional 2016 (64-bit). If it happens, it might indicate the following.
- Poor programming
- Conflict with other software
- Conflict with 3rd-party plug-ins
- Damaged hardware and Outdated hardware
- Malware infection corrupting the software
Solutions For The Error
Now that you have a clue of the possible sources of the issue, you can go straight to finding the solution. Here are the three steps you can try to remedy your PC.
Clean Junk Files
Having an up-to-date antivirus on your PC is crucial. Before executing any action to fix Perfboost.exe has stopped working, check if the antivirus is scanning. Keeping it up-to-date is crucial to avoid malware infection. Since the error has occurred, use your antivirus to perform a clean-up of junk files. Below are steps to guide you.
- Step 1: Right-click on your antivirus icon. Select the Security. Find, Clean up on the left side, among other options. Click Scan. This option will scan for junk files and plug-ins through your computer.
- Step 2: Click Clean-up and Finish after the cleaning-up operation. It might be slightly different with most antiviruses and PC optimizer applications.
Take care when cleaning up the Registry. This is because it contains information about all your PC’s processes, programs, and computer settings. This means if you removed the wrong entry, you put your PC at risk and fail to run properly.
Before you clean the Registry, ensure you do the following.
- Backup your data
- Backup your Registry
- Ensure no program is running before you begin scanning
- Once the cleaning process begins, don’t touch your PC
To clean your Registry manually, follow the step below.
- Step 1: Click Start and search for the Registry Editor by typing “regedit”. Select regedit once it shows up. When prompted, click YES.
- Step 2: Click on the icon behind the “HKEY–LOCAL–MACHINE” folder to expand it. Expand the “SOFTWARE” folder too.
- Step 3: Find a folder of a program you are not using. It can be that recently uninstalled program that might have left behind some files causing conflict with your Perfboost.exe. Right-click the folder and select Delete. When prompted, click Yes. Repeat the process to delete all the programs you don’t recognize.
- Step 4: Close the Registry, then restart the PC.
You can also clean your Registry using a Registry Cleaner App Such as the Auslogics Registry cleaner app. This is simple. Here is how to do it.
- Step 1: Download and install your favorite app.
- Step 2: After you have installed it successfully, open the app. Click Settings, check “Back Up Changes”, and click Scan Now.
- Step 3: Click Repair, then restore your Registry settings if needed.
Restore your computer to restore point
This is another method to fix the Perfboost.exe stopped working error. To restore your computer to the latest restore point, follow the steps below.
- Step 1: Select the Start button on your Windows XP, Vista, 7, 8, or 10. You can find it on the left lower corner of your screen. In the search box, type these two words, “System Restore”, then press ENTER.
- Step 2: Find System Restore in the search results and select it. If prompted, enter the administrator password and choose the relevant restore point through the System Restore Wizard.
- Step 3: Restore your PC to the backup image on the screen.
Uninstall Microsoft Project Professional 2016(64-Bit) then try reinstalling it
If you use Windows XP, XP, Vista, 7, 8, and 10, you can follow these steps to solve the Perfboost.exe error. This method can be effective if you recently installed the software on your PC. Here are the steps to follow.
- Step 1: Select Start in your windows. In the search box, type “Uninstall” and select ENTER. Select “Add or Remove Programs” in the search results. Find Microsoft Project Professional 2016(64-Bit) and select Uninstall.
- Step 2: After successfully uninstalling the software, restart your computer.
- Step 3: Reinstall the software and check whether the problem has been resolved.
Run Windows Update
If you still encounter the error message, “Perfboost.exe has stopped working, perform a Windows Update. Your Windows operating system might be outdated, causing such Perfboost.exe error messages. To Run Windows Update, check the following steps.
- Step 1: Tap the Windows Start button. Type “Update” into the search box and press ENTER.
- Step 2: In the dialog box under Windows Update, select Check for Updates. If you can’t find this prompt in your Windows version, you can click on a similar button from the options. If your computer finds updates for download, select Install Updates.
- Step 3: After the update is successful, restart your computer.
Replace your Perfboost.exe file
If the above solution methods fail to eliminate the error in your PC, this is the last resort. Keep in mind that this technique is recommended for advanced computer users. If you know little about computers, you can seek help in this step. They will guide you on how to use this method.
- Step 1: To download, open the browser on your PC and search Download Perfboost.exe. Click on a credible website with relevant results according to your search. Most websites will offer various Perfboost.exe Files for different Windows operating systems. Select the software File appropriate for your Windows operating system and click Download Now. Ensure you click the right Download Now button. To ensure the safety of your PC, consider downloading the software from the official website.
- Step 2: Copy your downloaded file to the required folder. Finally, restart your PC. If you are still having the problem, you will need to clean the installations of your windows operating system.
Tips And Tricks
- Keep your antivirus program up-to-date
- Ensure your PC’s antivirus program is allowed to scan regularly
- Backup all of your important data periodically. This helps, especially if these errors throw your windows into problems that will force you to re-install the Windows.