Representing the eighth generation of video game consoles from Microsoft, Xbox One possesses everything that gamers desire: advanced graphics, substantial storage, rapid processing, ultra-modern controllers… Still, Xbox One’s most attractive feature is Party Chat which allows players to interact with each other while playing. Party Chat operates over the Internet so network settings could interfere with its performance though. Thankfully, we have a collection of solutions to help you fix the issue of my network settings are blocking party chat.
The Impact Of “My Network Settings Are Blocking Party Chat” On Your Xbox One?
Xbox One Party Chat is a voice communication platform where a gamer can invite other players to interact or watch shows together. This platform allows you to invite one to seven other players into your party. There are similarities between the Party Chat platform and the in-game chat feature. However, the main difference is that Party Chat facilitates voice communication and requires invitation while the in-game chat is text-based and involves players who are active in the same game. Unfortunately, incorrect network settings can cause problems with the Xbox One’s Party Chat platform. We will explain some solutions to these issues so that you can experience Party Chat successfully.
Why Your Network Settings Are Blocking Party Chat
You can find that your Xbox One Party Chat is blocked due to improper settings or additional problems with your network. A common problem is where the console can seamlessly detect strangers’ wireless networks but not yours. Moreover, your Xbox One can display an error alert indicating “Can’t connect to your wireless network” after initiating a connection. Another instance is where the game console displays an error message indicating “Your security protocol won’t work” upon trying to link it to your router. Furthermore, the Xbox One console can display an error alert saying “There’s a problem with network quality” when testing a multiplayer link up. Thankfully, we have multiple solutions for situations where my network settings are blocking party chat.
How To Fix The Network Settings Which Are Blocking Party Chat
There are numerous solutions which you can implement to correct the network setup which is blocking your Xbox One Party Chat. We have delivered all of them below:
Close And Relaunch The Party Chat App
The simplest solution is to restart the Party Chat application as described below:
- Step 1: Close the Party Chat application.
- Step 2: Start up the Party Chat application again.
- Step 3: Connect the app to the Internet.
- Step 4: Invite your friends to a party.
Ensure That Your Console’s Network Address Translation (NAT) Is Open
To solve the problem regarding your Xbox One Party Chat network settings, it is important to make sure that the Network Address Translation (NAT) type in your console has been set to Open. There are three main types of NAT settings including Open, Moderate and Strict. For your Party Chat to operate smoothly, make sure that the console’s NAT type is set to Open using the procedure below.
- Step 1: Navigate to Settings and pick All Settings.
- Step 2: Select Network and then point to Network Settings.
- Step 3: Search for the NAT type option.
- Step 4: Set the NAT type to Open.
Adjust The MTU Settings In Your Router
In case the error message “Network settings are blocking Party Chat” is persistent, this issue can be solved by adjusting the MTU settings in your router. Here is how to achieve this:
- Step 1: Log into the configuration page of your router.
- Step 2: Proceed to locate the MTU settings.
- Step 3: Set the MTU value to 1458.
- Step 4: Save the new settings.
Make Changes In Your Privacy Settings
An interesting fact is that the privacy settings in your router system can interfere with the Internet connection and cause difficulties where my network settings are blocking party chat. In this case, it is necessary to adjust your router’s privacy settings using the process described here:
- Step 1: Within your router system’s Settings, navigate to View Details.
- Step 2: Proceed to select Customize.
- Step 3: Set the columns which are displayed to Allow or Everybody according to the available options.
Restart Your Modem
The modem provides a direct link to the Internet for your Xbox One game console. In case there are network errors causing the Party Chat application to malfunction, you can simply restart your modem to fix this problem. Follow these steps to achieve this objective:
- Step 1: Press the power button on your modem and hold it until the device powers itself off.
- Step 2: While the modem is off, wait for 30 seconds.
- Step 3: Press upon its power button again to activate the modem.
- Step 4: Wait until the device is back on.
- Step 5: Activate the Party Chat app again and link up with your friends in a Party.
Frequently Asked Questions
1/ Which is the most common issue behind the Party Chat error message?
In most cases, the Party Chat error message is caused by an incorrect Network Address Translation (NAT) type. Setting it to Open will fix this problem.
2/ Is a router problem to blame for the Party Chat error?
Yes, the router may have a problem that’s causing the Party Chat error. To solve this, simply set the router’s Maximum Transmission Unit (MTU) value to 1458.
3/ Could the modem cause Party Chat to experience problems?
Yes. The modem could be experiencing Internet connectivity challenges that directly cause the Party Chat application to malfunction. Simply restart your modem to fix this issue.
Tips And Tricks
- Always set the Network Address Translation (NAT) in your Xbox One to Open.
- For smooth operation of the Party Chat app, always set your privacy settings in the router system to Allow or Everybody.
- Consistently ensure that the Maximum Transmission Unit (MTU) value in your router is set to 1458.
- Ensure that the privacy settings in your router are set to Everybody or Allow.
Relaunch your Party Chat application in case your network settings are blocking party chat.