Among budget laptops that run on Windows nowadays, not many models work as well as HP Stream. Dependable and reliable, HP Stream is held in high esteem by those who need simple laptops for basic needs. That being said, HP Stream remains far from perfect and complaints appear from time to time. Check out this article if you have no idea what to do once it comes to HP Stream factory reset not enough space.
The Number One Suspect: Storage
Unlike many other computers, HP Stream possesses an internal SSD on the motherboard. Depending on the model, the storage of the drive is either 32GB or 64GB. The amount of space inside the drive should be enough to keep the laptop running for a while. However, following successive updates, there is a chance that the drive of HP Stream would run out of space. Thus, regarding HP Stream factory reset not enough space, it’s wise to pay special attention to storage.
HP Stream Factory Reset Not Enough Space: Fixes
Delete Old Windows Update Files
Windows updates occupy a considerable amount of disk space on computers. Windows update files are downloaded and saved in a WinSxS folder on the local drive. You can delete outdated updates to free up space by going through these steps:
- Step 1: Go to Search bar, type CMD and hit Run as administrator.
- Step 2: In Command Prompt (Admin), type cleanmgr then hit Enter.
- Step 3: Select the drive you want to clean.
- Step 4: Check ‘Windows Update Cleanup’ on the dialogue. You can also check other items that have taken up space then hit OK. The cleanup manager will proceed to delete the files that are not essential to your operating system.
Note: If you have a Windows 10Upgrade folder on your PC, you can delete it as well.
- Step 1: Open File Explorer and go to your C: drive.
- Step 2: Find the Windows10Upgrade folder and right-click it.
- Step 3: Select Delete from the context menu.
- Step 4: Click Yes to confirm.
After you finish, you won’t be able to return to an earlier version of Windows 10. To go back, you’ll need to reinstall Windows 10 from scratch.
Move Files And Apps To External Storages
- Step 1: Insert an external drive. You can either use a USB flash drive or an SSD. The latter is preferred as it won’t take up one of your ports.
- Step 2: Open File Explorer and click on This PC.
- Step 3: Navigate into the download folder on this path; C:\Users\Your_account\Downloads.
- Step 4: Right-click on the downloads folder and select properties
- Step 5: Click on the Location tab.
- Step 6: Click the move button and select the destination folder. All your files in the download folder will be moved to the external drive clearing up space on your primary SSD drive.
- Step 1: Press Windows + I to open Settings then choose System.
- Step 2: Select Apps & Features.
- Step 3: Scroll down the list of apps and click on the one you want to move
- Step 4: Click the move button.
- Step 5: Select the destination then click OK.
Wipe The eMMC and Install Windows Afresh.
- Step 1: Turn off your HP Stream and connect it to a power source.
- Step 2: Download Windows Media Creation Tool and a Windows 10 image on a different computer.
- Step 3: Launch the Media Creation Tool and create a bootable Windows image on a USB flash drive.
- Step 4: Insert the flash drive into your HP Stream, turn it on and start tapping the Esc key.
- Step 5: Press F9 on the boot menu to access the boot options menu.
- Step 6: Use arrow keys to select the USB boot option and hit Enter.
- Step 7: Select Custom installation on the selection popup Windows and format your drive.
- Step 8: Follow the on-screen instructions to complete the Windows installation.
- Step 9: After the installation is complete, you can activate your Windows account online.
Also, you should consider disabling automatic Windows updates so updates don’t take up all of your drive space.
- Step 1: Go to Search bar, type services.msc and hit Enter.
- Step 2: In Services, locate the Windows Update, right-click it and pick Properties.
- Step 3: Change the Startup type to Disabled in the Properties window.
- Step 4: Click the Stop button to stop the service.
- Step 5: Select Apply then choose OK to save the changes.
- Step 6: Reboot your computer.
Can I install Windows on HP Stream using CD?
Yes, a HP Stream laptop can boot from a CD. To do so, you will need to change the boot order in the BIOS settings. You can use an external CD reader if your laptop version doesn’t have a built-in player.
How many cameras does HP Stream have?
The HP Stream comes with a built-in webcam and microphone.
Can you link a HP Stream laptop to an external monitor?
Yes. You can link an HP Stream laptop to an external monitor using an HDMI cable.
How do I set my HP Stream to save files on an external drive?
Here’s how to move Windows apps and files to an external drive:
- Step 1. Open the Start menu and go to Settings.
- Step 2. Click on System > Storage.
- Step 3. Select the drive you want to move the files to.
- Step 4. Click on the Change where new content is saved button.
- Step 5. Select the drive you want to move the files to.
- Step 6. Click the OK button.
Tips and Tricks
- Set your downloads to automatically save an external drive to avoid using up your system drive.
- Make use of online storage services like Google Drive.
- Install the compact version of Windows to save space.
- Set your virtual memory to 1GB at most.