Considering the popularity of Windows, it’s natural that many devices can run the Microsoft operating system and HP Pavilion Notebook is not an exception. In most of the cases, people don’t have to do much to upgrade the Windows OS on HP Pavilion Notebook. That being said, the process is not always smooth sailing. Check out this article if you come across the “HP Pavilion Notebook- BIOS needs to be upgraded before you can upgrade to Windows 10” error.
What Must Be Done
The “HP Pavilion Notebook- BIOS needs to be upgraded before you can upgrade to Windows 10” error keeps interrupting your OS upgrade? Then there is a good chance that the BIOS of your device is too old to run Windows 10. Hence, to dismiss the error, you have no choice but to to update the BIOS. The process of downloading and installing updates to BIOS (Basic Input Output System) is called “flashing the BIOS”.
Note: Incorrect BIOS flashing would lead to quite a few problems so you should be careful. For good measure, make sure that you only install BIOS updates from Compaq notebook computers and HP.
Updating BIOS Via Device Manager
- Step 1: Go to Search bar, type Device Manager and hit Enter
- Step 2: Expand Firmware
- Step 3: Right-click System Firmware then choose Properties
- Step 4: Go to Driver tab, select Update Driver and choose search automatically for updated driver software.
- Step 5: Wait for the update to wrap up.
Update BIOS Via HP Support Assistant
Whenever a new BIOS update is available, your HP Pavilion Notebook can get it through HP Support Assistant. If you see the “HP Pavilion Notebook – BIOS Needs To Be Upgraded Before You Can Upgrade To Windows 10” error, Support Assistant can help. To make use of Support Assistant, go through the steps down below:
- Step 1: Search for HP Support Assistant then launch it (if you can’t locate the program, download it)
- Step 2: Navigate to the My devices tab and select Updates
- Step 3: Go to Check for updates and messages
- Step 4: Wait a bit as HP Support Assistant works
- Step 5: When HP Support Assistant display the updates, select the one you want to install then click Download and Install
- Step 6: When the update concludes, restart your device and upgrade the OS again
Update the BIOS Manually
Prepare the device for the update:
- Step 1: Gather details about your PC. To do so, go to Search bar, type msinfo32 ad hit Enter to open System Information
- Step 2: Close all applications, disable the Bitlocker and shut down antivirus programs.
Use Task Manager to close application
Disable Bitlocker by going to manage Bitlocker > Suspend protection > Yes
To shut down antivirus programs, open Security and maintenance, go to security and change the antivirus settings.
Download and install the latest BIOS update:
- Step 1: Launch the web browser, visit HP Customer Support then go to Software and Downloads section
- Step 2: Look for the update that matches your PC
- Step 3: Download the update
- Step 4: Navigate to the downloaded BIOS update then double-click it to initiate installation. During installation, do not turn off your computer
- Step 5: Select Yes
- Step 6: In InstallShield Wizard, choose Next
- Step 7: Click I accept the terms in the license agreement then hit Next
- Step 8: Pick Next in HP BIOS Update and Recovery
- Step 9: Choose Update and select Next
- Step 10: Select Restart Now
- Step 11: Hit Continue Startup then give your computer time to restart automatically then when the lock screen is displayed, sign in to your PC
Frequently Asked Questions
Can I upgrade a new HP laptop to Windows 10?
Yes, all-new HP laptops are Windows 10 ready. Optimized for Windows 10 from the start, HP laptops not only support the OS 10 but also allow people to use features to their full potential.
How come I cannot update my HP Pavilion Notebook?
There are different reasons why you can’t update your HP computer. For instance, if the graphics driver is out-of-date, Windows updates may fail. As a result, it’s wise to ensure that your computer has the latest graphics driver before beginning the update. To do so, you will need to look for the Software Download page to choose the latest driver to download.
Is it possible to update my computer to Windows 10 manually?
Navigate to the Microsoft Download Windows 10 page and select Download Tool Now to get the MediaCreationTool.exe file. Proceed to accept the license terms and conditions then click on the Create Installation Media for DVD, USB drives and ISO files then click Next.
How do I activate Windows 10 on my device?
On your computer, press the Windows + I keys to go to the Settings Applications then click on the update and security and select Activation
Tips And Tricks
- Keep your HP Pavilion Notebook up-to-date
- Do not turn off or restart your computer during updates
- Don’t mess with BIOS unless you know what must be done