Nowadays, once it comes to the battle royale genre, Call of Duty: Warzone is by all accounts one of the top titles. Thanks to the dynamic gameplay, Warzone could keep gamers entertained for hours at a time. However, it’s worth pointing out that Warzone still leaves something to be sedated, especially on PC. Read to the end if you keep running into “Disc read error [6.154]” while playing Warzone on your Windows computer.
Outdated Operating System
If your Windows operating system is outdated, it can become incompatible with Call of Duty: Warzone. Thus, regarding “Disc read error [6.154]”, you should take the OS into account.
All in all, if the game is unable to access sectors of the operating system, there is a good chance that it would act up. Have a hard time playing Warzone even though you have a strong computer? In that case, it’s a good idea to give administrator privileges some thought.
Corrupted Game Files
Corruption of the game files is the number one cause of game errors and “Disc read error [6.154]” of Warzone is not an exception. For instance, after you download and install the game, there should be a Warzone Player folder containing game configurations, settings and others on your PC. If that folder becomes corrupted then the game cannot launch as expected and errors ensue.
Xbox Game Bar and Game Mode
For your information, Game Mode turns off background processes in your system such as notifications and updates. In doing so, Game Mode diverts system resources to your game resulting in a smoother experience. About Xbox Game Bar, it allows gamers to capture screenshots and videos while playing games. That being said, despite their utility, Windows Game Mode and Xbox Game Bar can complicate Warzone operation.
Call of Duty: Warzone is a visually intensive game that requires dedicated graphics for smooth operation. That means running Warzone at a less than ideal level of graphics would lead to errors.
How To Troubleshoot Disc Read Error [6.154]
Update operating system to the latest version is one way to get rid of game errors.
- Step 1: If your computer is connected to the Internet, go to Search bar, type Updates and hit Enter.
- Step 2: In Windows Update, click Check for updates. If an update is available, wait for the download and installation to wrap up.
- Step 3: Restart your PC. The moment the screen is back on, launch the game and determine whether the issue persists.
Run As An Administrator
To grant Warzone administrator privileges, go through the steps down below:
- Step 1: Open File Explorer and navigate to the Call of Duty Modern Warfare folder.
- Step 2: Right-click ModernWarfare.exe and choose Properties.
- Step 3: Go to Compatibility tab and check Run this program as administrator.
- Step 4: Choose Apply and select OK to save the changes.
- Step 5: Repeat the same process for Modern Warfare Launcher.exe file.
- Step 6: Close File Explorer, restart you PC and launch the game.
Scan And Repair
If you come across “Disc read error [6.154]”, use the Battle.net Scan and Repair.
- Step 1: Launch your Battle.net app.
- Step 2: Click All Games and choose Call of Duty: Warzone in your library.
- Step 3: Click the small cogwheel icon located on the game’s Play button.
- Step 4: Choose the Scan and Repair option.
- Step 5: Wait for the scan and repair procedure to conclude.
Modify The Game’s Installation
Adjusting Call of Duty: Warzone’s installation setup can eliminate the game’s errors.
- Step 1: Launch the Battle.net application.
- Step 2: Choose Call of Duty: Warzone from your library.
- Step 3: On the Play button, select Options.
- Step 4: Select Modify Install.
- Step 5: In the Call of Duty: Warzone Installation context menu, click Modify Install.
- Step 5: Deselect Campaign, Special Ops and Survival checkboxes. Keep in mind that these options will only be available if you have already purchased Modern Warfare.
- Step 6: Finally, press Confirm to save the changes.
Turn Off The Xbox Game Bar And Game Mode
- Step 1: Press Windows + I to open Settings.
- Step 2: Select Gaming then choose Game Mode.
- Step 3: Toggle Game Mode to “disabled”.
- Step 4: In the Settings left pane, select Gaming to access the Xbox Game Bar.
- Step 5: Disable the Open Xbox Game Bar.
- Step 6: Back in Settings, select the Apps tab.
- Step 7: Click Apps & Features and then scroll down that tab to Xbox Game Bar.
- Step 8: Click the Xbox Game Bar’s 3-dot button to choose Advanced options.
- Step 9: Click the Background app permissions drop-down menu to select Never.
- Step 10: Finally, select the Xbox Game Bar’s Terminate option.
Make Use Of Nvidia GeForce Experience (Nvidia GPU)
- Step 1: Launch Nvidia GeForce Experience and choose Call of Duty: Warzone.
- Step 2: Click Optimize then open the game and see how things turn out.
- Step 3: If the error persists, take advantage of the utility’s dashboard to reduce the game resolution, play borderless and toggle between full screen and windowed mode. For good measure, launch the game after you finish adjusting each of the settings.
Delete Warzone Player Folder
- Step 1: Right-click Windows and choose Run.
- Step 2: Type documents in the dialog box and click OK.
- Step 3: Open the Call of Duty folder and delete the Players folder.
- Step 4: Close Documents and launch Warzone.
Uninstall And Reinstall
- Step 1: Make a backup of the essential data.
- Step 2: Open up the Battle.net launcher and choose Warzone.
- Step 3: Go to Options and select Uninstall.
- Step 4: Confirm the uninstallation and wait for Call of Duty: Warzone to be uninstalled.
- Step 5: When the uninstallation completes, restart your computer.
- Step 6: Once the system is back on, right-click Windows and choose Apps & Features.
- Step 7: Expand Warzone and click Uninstall.
- Step 8: Confirm to uninstall Warzone and follow the on-screen prompts to conclude the uninstallation procedure.
- Step 9: After you’re done, restart your computer.
- Step 10: Once your computer is back on, delete Warzone’s files from these directories:
C:\Program Files (x86)\
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Blizzard Entertainment
C:\Users\Public\Public Documents\Blizzard Entertainment\
- Step 11: After deleting the files, restart your computer.
- Step 12: Reinstall Call of Duty: Warzone. Note that a complete reinstallation involves 100GB of data so be patient.
- Step 13: As soon as the reinstallation is complete, launch the game.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can I play Call of Duty: Warzone on consoles?
This free game is available to play on Personal Computers (PCs), PlayStation 4, PlayStation 5, Xbox One and Xbox Series X/ S.
Can I play Warzone without an Internet connection?
No. This game requires access to the Internet to run.
How long is each match in Call of Duty: Warzone?
The average match in Warzone lasts for 20 minutes.
Tips And Tricks
- Set out your play style in advance and rely on your strengths in Call of Duty: Warzone. Practice taking headshots with a sniper rifle, emptying clips at close ranges and so on.
- Only shoot when you’re sure that you’ll kill the enemies. Do not shoot as soon as the enemies come into view. Wait, take aim and shoot.
- Make sure to complete your contracts so as to get more gear, money, kills and intelligence. There are five main contracts in Call of Duty: Warzone: Bounty, Scavenger, Recon, Supply Run and Most Wanted.
- Be strategic about where to land to complement your playing style. If you are good at melee attacks, land in crowded areas such as the Superstore or the Hospital. On the other hand, if you prefer taking long-range sniper shots, land in locations on the edges of the map.
- Secure $10,000 as fast as possible to purchase a Loadout Drop from the closest Buy Station. By doing so, you could equip yourself with a custom firearm, special capabilities and substantial equipment. All of that will boost your odds of victory in the match.